Translate

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Art from Books Series: Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse

Many of you have started school in the las few weeks or are starting this week. This is a great beginning of the year book and art project though I've seen and done it later in the year.

I first saw this art project at the end of the year in a second grade classroom but I like it for the beginning of the year better because it focuses on what students want to be when they grow up.

The book is about a little mouse named Lilly. She wants to be a teacher when she grows up because she loves her teacher then he is "mean" to her and she no longer wants to be a teacher. She goes through all the possible jobs she may want to work until she is friends with her teacher again.

You can find the book here on Amazon.


It's not a favorite book of mine but I do like it. 

This art project starts with reading the book and then drawing Lilly's character and adding an outfit for what you want to be when you grow up. 

Start out with an egg shape. This is your head.


Add a body, just an oval under the head.


Add a sideways "c" for the nose, a smile, an eye (I changed my eye later) and some ears. The ears are made by making  a "c" shape and another behind it. You also need an inner ear which I forgot and added later. It's just another "c" shape inside the first "c" shape.


Sorry for the eraser pieces in the next two photos. Here I added some arms and legs. (I'm really bad at feet and hands).


Now it has a tail!


Make it your own, Just like Lilly, decide what you want to be when you grow up. I obviously want to be a teacher so I drew some teachery things. I don't like dresses though, I was just being lazy. I thought about drawing a ninja, because I am one in disguise (I do karate) and I thought about an astronaut because I love space but I decided to stick with the truth. (I also added the inner ear here. Do you see it?)


Now all you have to do is color and your picture is done. Sorry for the poor coloring, I hate coloring so I put little effort into it. She kind of looks like she's wearing a night gown. I need to work on my drawing skills as well as my coloring skills in the future. It's good to have goals.




No comments:

Post a Comment